Monday, January 19, 2009

All hail the Trans Sport

     As I was driving back to school the other day, I passed an old Pontiac Trans Sport van. Now, if you know anything about mini vans, you would now that this particular mini van was ahead of its time back in the ol' 90's. What do you mean, you ask? Well, I will let you in on a secret. This mini van's side door opens with the touch of a button. Yes, I know. You are all in disbelief. But, I distinctly remember being fascinated with this fantastic feature as a mere child. My family was not privileged enough to own such a high-tech van, so I just went over to my neighbors and played in her van instead. Yes. We would play in that van like it was a clubhouse or a modern day space ship. We would punch that little button and watch in amazement as the side door glided open and close with ease. We were in awe and disbelief. Just how in the world did that door open with no manual power? Were there tiny elves inside, hard at work constantly pushing and pulling the door? Did someone have an invisible string attached to the door, who gave a slight tug at the precise moment? Or perhaps it was pure magic, the work of none other than mystical powers? Whatever it was, it kept me at a constant state of awe. I was always the first to volunteer and to ride captain seat in the Trans Sport. I always rendered my services of being the one to push the beloved button. But you couldn't be too hasty--pushing the button before its time caused a nasty beeping noise. The Trans Sport was readily prepared for hasty little children like me.... Oh to be young and naive again.....


There she glows, in all her splendor and glory.....


No comments: